AIRCUD (Aqualogy International Research Center for Urban Drainage) has a team with recognised experience in national and international R&D&I projects.
The centre works in conjunction with the Flumen Institute of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya-Barcelona Tech (UPC) and the Water Engineering Group of the University of A Coruña.
The research team has extensive experience and knowledge, internationally recognised, in projects related to urban drainage both nationally and internationally, and has worked with numerous other research centres in the Agbar Group and Suez Environnement (Cetaqua, LABAQUA, Aqualogy-Software Factory, LyRE, Ondeo Systems, SAFEGE, CIRSEE, etc.) and prestigious international centres (University of Exeter, WRC, SINTEF, KWR, LNEC, etc.).
AIRCUD’s VISION is to follow the innovation route headed by Agbar-Aqualogy in the last 20 years, to transform traditional urban drainage management into advanced, smart management. This model has been implemented in major world contexts (Barcelona, Santiago de Chile, Murcia, Alicante, Oran, etc.), and its relevance has been recognised internationally (UKWIR, 2013).
To do this, AIRCUD’s MISSION is to develop useful and immediately applicable lines for the daily management of urban drainage, including the following:
- Smart, efficient management of drainage infrastructures (real-time, optimum control, decision support systems, comprehensive WWTP management, etc.).
- Reduction of impacts on receiving environment (control of combined sewer overflows (CSO) and compliance with Royal Decree 1290/2012 in terms of spillway management).
- Measures for climate change mitigation and resilience.
- Advanced flood management and early warning systems.
- Sustainable urban drainage and rainwater use techniques.